Thursday, March 24, 2011

Healthy Blueberry Rolls (a new twist on cinnamon buns)

THIS WAS A HIT! EVERYONE LIKED THEM..THAT NEVER HAPPENS
As you know by now I am heading towards a new healthy me! So I still like to bake and the occasional treat is allowed! I want to add more fibre and blueberries have antioxidants right? So I came up with these BLUEBERRY ROLLS!

 Dough: I used my trusty bread machine recipe easy and you don't have to babysit it. I have lots of things to do and I am multi tasking here!

 1 CUP WATER
 2 TBSP OF SUGAR

( it calls for 3 but i made a little effort of cutting out 1 TBSP)
 1 tsp OF SALT
 3 TBSP OF OLIVE OIL
 3 CUPS OF FLOUR minus 1 TBSP for the fibre goodness
 2 1/4 tsp BREAD MAKER YEAST
 1 TBSP OF "MY FIBRE GOODNESS" (see below)
 ADD WATER AND ALL OTHER INGREDIENTS.

 HIT THE DOUGH FUNCTION WAIT 
1 1/2 HOURS AND VIOLA! INSTANT DOUGH!

 ROLL DOUGH INTO A 9 X13 RECTANGULAR.

 SPREAD ON BLUEBERRY PIE MIX 

OR WHICH EVER FRUIT YOU WOULD LIKE.

SPRINKLE WITH BROWN SUGAR

 (YOU CAN DETERMINE HOW
 MUCH YOU WOULD LIKE TO USE)
 i used about 3 tbsp in total.

ROLL UP INTO A LOG.
 CUT USING DENTAL FLOSS (see pictures)
 PUT ONTO SILPAT MAT ON COOKIE SHEET.
 PUT A "PAT" OF BUTTER(NO SUBSTITUTE)
 SPRINKLE WITH SOME BROWN SUGAR TOPPING (see recipe below)
 LET RISE FOR 1 HOUR OR DOUBLED IN SIZE
 BAKE IN OVEN FOR 20 - 25 MINS 350 DEGREES OVEN

ENJOY!

 



my fibre goodness recipe
1 cup of ground oatmeal
1/2 cup of ground flax
1/2 cup of ground sunflower seeds


(add some whole ones too!)
1/2 cup of poppy seeds
1/2 cup ground pumpkin seeds
mix all together and store in Ziploc bag in freezer.


you can really add whatever you like.
just make sure that you take out flour
for the amount you put of your "fibre goodness"


BROWN SUGAR TOPPING
3 tbsp of butter
1 TBSP OF COARSELY GROUND OATMEAL
1 TBSP OF BROWN SUGAR
MIX TOGETHER AD ADD ONTO
THE ROLLS TO MAKE A CRUMBLY TOPPING!






2 comments:

  1. These sound good...and easy! Although I will replace the Blueberries with Saskatoons (they too are antioxidants)! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saskatoons sounds yummy too! happy baking!

    ReplyDelete